Staff, students and parents are celebrating at Cumberland School following a recent announcement by Ofsted.
The Lancashire based school has been judged as outstanding in all areas, which only serves to highlight the incredible learning environment the school offers to all of its students.
The Oftsed report was glowing in praise for the school, its staff and the overall approach to the education, care and support of each young person. The report noted:
• Students who have previously been disaffected with education attend school regularly and enjoy their education.
• Students enter the school with standards which are mostly well below those expected for their age. They make rapid progress towards nationally expected standards.
• The quality of teaching is often inspirational and highly motivating for students.
• Students make outstanding progress in the management of their behaviour, overcoming any barriers to achievement.
• The school provides a safe environment for learning because leaders and managers implement rigorous arrangements for safeguarding students.
• All staff are fully informed about students’ individual strengths and learning needs due to exemplary tutor group arrangements. As a result, the cooperative work of teachers, teaching assistants and therapists has a strong impact on students’ achievement.
• The proprietor’s representatives provide an excellent balance between support and challenge for school leaders and staff. They ensure that the quality of teaching promotes outstanding achievement.
• Senior leaders’ ambitions for students’ achievement are shared by all staff, who motivate students to have high expectations of themselves.
• Arrangements for the improvement of teaching, learning and assessment are exemplary. The school provides extensive opportunities for continuous staff training.
John Gilfillan, Head Teacher at Cumberland School, responded to the Ofsted announcement by saying, “I honestly believe this truly outstanding report is down to the sustained efforts of each and every member of staff at Cumberland School. Staff and students should be extremely proud of this and I thank everyone for the part they have played in developing Cumberland School into the outstanding provision that it is.”
Mr Gilfillan, added, “It goes without saying that our aim now is to exceed the standards we have set and I look forward to working with all school staff and students to achieve this.”